Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Growth of Instagram


Oh, Instagram.

Last I checked, this photo-sharing app is widely popular amongst the iOS community and is 30 million strong, despite being exclusive to one OS. After more than a week, it's become one of the most popular startups made in history.

Here's what happened:

Instagram for Android

Last week, Instagram released the app in Google Play. This was one of the biggest releases that Android has ever had. Reviewers say that it has carried over most of what iOS users experience over to the green robot's version, and apparently the users rejoiced. In under a day of availability, 1 million of the Android horde downloaded this! I thought this was amazing already! Until...

Facebook buys Instagram for $1B

When I woke up this morning, I checked my Twitter feed and read that same phrase. At first, I like "WHAAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is Facebook gonna ruin the experience that I have known and loved for months? IS IT THE END OF INSTAGRAM?" Then, I read EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE there is on this topic. Here, I came to realize a few things:

Facebook's keeping Instagram alive

I know, I know, I was one of the skeptics. After reading Mark Zuckerberg's post, he said that they are "committed to building and growing Instagram independently". Usually, I would say that this would eventually change, and Instagram would go away, but I have faith that Facebook would maintain this very vibrant photo-sharing app and make it more powerful due to Facebook's infrastructure.

This MAY solve Facebook's problem with Mobile

I have to admit, Facebook's mobile app and website SUCKS. Although the team redesigned them, it's still LIMITED and functions poorly compared to the website. I could even do MORE there than on my iPod touch. The purchase of Instagram may help solve that and will possibly make Facebook put out a WAY BETTER mobile app and site for us users to enjoy. I honestly hope this happens.


Just when I thought this was already too big to consume,

Android app hitting 5M downloads in 6 days

This is just MIND-BOGGLING. I have never found an app that's more widespread than this. IT'S AMAZING that the scale of this is unheard of. This reassures Facebook that Instagram will grow, surprisingly at a tremendous rate.


I say this: CONGRATULATIONS to Kevin Systrom and his team for the success they have with Instagram and I sincerely hope you won't let Facebook ruin the experience we all love.

If you haven't downloaded this, here's the link: Instagr.am


Fare thee well, Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment