Sunday, February 3, 2013

Back to Basics.


Nokia 1280. DON'T JUDGE ME!
So yes, I got a basic cellphone called the Nokia 1280 today. Don't judge me right away because you don't know why I got this. The reason why this post exists is to tell you all about how I decided to get this phone.

For the past few weeks, the phone that I use for my Sun Cellular SIM wasn't really functioning well. It kept losing signal when I needed it the most, and it would restart by itself more often. I didn't mind at first, but one event gave me a sign that I need to change my phone. It was Thursday, and I was on my way to an important orientation for a contest that I'll join three weeks from now. I needed to get some documents from the coach so that our school is okay to join the event. My phone kept losing signal to the point that I had a hard time communicating with the coach. It took me around 20 to 30 minutes just to contact her. Good thing we found each other or else I would have been later than I was that time.

So awhile ago, I looked for a phone to replace the crappy phone I had. I first thought of getting an Android phone. Clearly, there are a lot of choices but I have a budget since I don't want to crush the certainty that I'm going to get my dream phone. I first decided to get one of the most popular budget Android smartphones, the Cherry Mobile Flare. It has a dual core processor with a 4-inch display and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The problem was that the build quality of the phone isn't comparable to other budget smartphones out there. I didn't wanna break a new phone after a few months, so I decided not to get it. We then chose a simple Nokia phone that can do calls and texts. I was okay with the Nokia 1280. It even has a flashlight! Hehehe.

I realized that this could be a great time to compare how phones were before to how they are today. Are the benefits of having more functionality outweighing the disadvantages? Is it making our lives better for the long term? I'll know soon enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment