Monday, January 21, 2013

Sinulog 2013: The Greatest Story Ever Told


Churchgoers attending the Novena Mass in the Basilica del Santo Niño.
Sinulog's just gonna get hotter as time passes by. Every third Sunday of January, we celebrate the feast of Santo Niño. He is the reason why the Philippines became the cradle of Christianity in Asia. When we celebrate it though, we do it over the course of 2 weeks! The Novena Masses are attended by a lot of people and the procession last Saturday was attended by 2.7M (according to Sun Star). I'm sure that the numbers for the Grand Parade are much much more. 

And yes, with the Grand Parade comes VARIOUS street parties around the Metro despite the fact that there's a ban being implemented for those. Too bad there were more party people than even the police! Walking around the streets already counts as a genuine Sinulog experience simply because of the sights you see and the sounds you hear around you. Giant floats from companies were there, including the ABS-CBN float which for me feels like the best float in terms of crowd insanity because of the people shouting and taking their pictures.

Grand Parade from up above. :)
The contingents who join the parade every year are not there to win, but to show their utmost devotion to the Señor Sto. Niño. I really applaud them for doing this. I also appreciate the people who are out there and joining in the celebration. Even though there are times when we get perked up because of the tightness of the crowds trying to walk through the route, it was really nice looking at the contingents giving their all. I think that the street party ban is stupid. We all know what the real meaning of the festival is, but a street party is also a way for people to be happy in the celebration! I'm sure even the police looking at the party people understand that (and the fact that they're outnumbered HAHA) despite their orders.

Even though I didn't get to party much at Baseline (the most trending place during Sinulog, best known for getting yourself dirty and smelling like beer), I enjoyed even the insane walking I did with friends. YES, I was with friends for the whole afternoon though I was with family during the morning and evening. We walked trying to find a place to stay after partying in the night. From Fuente to Mango to Sanciangko then back to Mango again to AllSon's Inn to Ayala (because we were getting our stuff) to Fuente again (because my stuff was there). I really found the experience very amazing, to say the least. I thank God for letting me experience how Sinulog really is. Indeed, it is the GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

'Till next year, Sinulog! Pit Senyor!

By the way, here's a picture of my friends making random shiznit. HAHA:


January's about to end. Midterms a'coming. Gotta go.

1 comment: