Saturday, August 3, 2013

Messaging (Apps) Overload!!



I talked to a friend earlier this week about the issue of messaging apps and how fragmented this is. Everyday, I use Facebook Messenger since it's been my go-to if I wanna communicate with friends who have Facebook (I recently use it even more than texting!). Then these other apps are here. Skype's been around for a long time and they continue to be dominant because of video calling and calling to other countries without the need for cellular network. Then the deluge of messaging apps came along. WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat, LINE, and even Google with Hangouts. I just found this insane since people now have to use a lot of apps just to send messages to friends.

What these lack is inter-communication between these different apps. Wouldn't it be nice if there was only one standard in which all the messaging apps can use in tandem with their own proprietary standards so that we won't be forced to use a lot of apps! I am hoping one day that I would be deleting some of these apps without an inherent loss on my end.

Sorry for these short weekly posts. I couldn't really post a long one due to work-related stress. I'm gonna love next week since holidays are popping up. I SO LOVE AUGUST. Speaking of August, I might have something up your sleeve soon. Keep your eyes peeled!

No comments:

Post a Comment